Thursday, 4 December 2014

Summary of Research

In this summary of research I will be explaining what I have learned from my research and how I will apply my knowledge to inform my magazines primary and secondary audience. To know how I can apply my knowledge to my primary and secondary audience, I need to know what my Genre is and what group of people enjoy the genre I have picked. The main genre of music I have picked to design a magazine around is my magazine is rock and the people who I am aiming my magazine towards are fans of the rock genre. Within my targeted audience I needed to find out the specifics of my targeted audience, such as the age of people who buy rock magazine in majority, the gender of the people and the socio-economic groups as an example of a few specifics.

The methods of research I used to find out my specifics of my target demographic audience was to use a questionnaire and then using the information to form a proposal in which I then used a proposal to explain my magazine towards a focus group, after which I then using the information from both my questionnaire and the reception from my focus group to create Reader profiles in which my music magazine is aimed towards. The reason why I chose a questionnaire to use first was because it was a quick and easy method to create and obtain results in minimal time with an accurate representation for the basis of a primary target audience. When I obtained my results from my questionnaire the most common reoccurrences of answers that applied to help produce my magazine was that most people were in their teens from 16+, who did buy music magazines and also listened to music for a large proportion of time throughout the week at the most of 15 hours and that most interestingly was that people who answered the magazine were more interested in downloading music than buying it from the store, and what interested me about this was that it showed that times are changing and we are moving away from the use of CD’s of past generations and moving to downloading MP4 files straight from the internet. This information helps me to know how to advertise of the current youth of today and how to avoid certain uses of advertisement, for example I can advertise internet links towards downloadable music websites such as ITunes for example and that would generate immediate interest towards the magazine as my target audience prefer to download music as opposed to advertising a shop such as HMV for example as not as many of the current age group want to go out to buy music as the prefer to download music.

The next step was with all of my information gathered about my target audience was to generate a reader profile to show what I know who my target demographic is and what genre do they appeal too. to do this I found the most common results from my questionnaire, which apply directly to my magazine and then I build two descriptive representations of these people who will look like the type of audience I am aiming my magazine towards. I chose to create a reader profile so I know what conventions I need to use to find out my audience expectations for my magazine.

For further in depth research to find out what price range my magazine should be for my target audeince so that my specific audience will be able to afford my magazine, I decided to research into socio-economic groups to find out specifically who will buy my magazine. To find out the results I


After I had received my results from my audience reseaerch I then moved onto creating a magazine proposal. The purpose of a magazine proposal is so I can explain to my audience what my music magazine will be about in the terms of articles and genre of the magazine. Within my magazine I chose to aim my magazine towards a unisex teenage audience, and I chose a unisex audience as it means that more people would be interested in my magazine than just one specific gender, I also aimed my magazine towards the adolescent audience because they are the main target group that buys music magazine’s in majority as I found out from my questionnaire with a secondary audience aimed towards older and more adult fans of the rock genre and that more adolesecnt people go out to outdoor activities such as festivals and gigs than an older audince which follows follows the conventions of my genre. The feedback I received was positive in the context that I had been given advice on where and how I could improve my magazine such as changing the name from "Spike" to "Crunch" as Spike sounded too aggressive for a rock magazine. 


No comments:

Post a Comment